Working with complex needs in contemporary social work practice (M45)
Learn flexibly by choosing your modules on our specialist course that recognises the modern complexities in social work
Please note: you may see the M45 course also referred to as SCPDTP006 in communications from our application system.
About this course
This course is offered as a credit accumulation model to give you maximum flexibility so that you can enrol onto individual modules as standalone credit-bearing CPD.
The modules are all optional, meaning that you can pick those which interest you the most. However, you can only undertake the Best Interests Assessors (BIA) module if you are a social worker working in a relevant setting. To receive the postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma, you will need to enrol onto the award programme.
To gain the full postgraduate diploma, you will need to successfully complete four taught modules from the list below. If you successfully complete two modules, you may finish your studies at this point and take a postgraduate certificate as an exit award.
Through a series of seminars, lectures, reflective group discussions and case study groups, the following modules will be taught:
- ‘Strengths-based approaches in contemporary social work practice’
- ‘Reflective supervision and leading on practice’
- ‘Best Interests Assessor’ (this can only be undertaken if you are a social worker working in a relevant setting)
- ‘Using observation in social work’
- ‘Policy, power and activism’
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if you are a health care or social work/care professional, and wish to increase your CPD through a course that will provide theoretical frameworks and reflective, experiential learning that allows you to engage with the complexities of your role.
You will also develop your capacities to work effectively in often challenging environments.
To undertake this course, we ask that you:
- hold a first degree classified at 2:2 or above, or equivalent
- have at least two years postgraduate experience in the field of social care, or for social workers, post-qualifying social work experience
- be a currently registered health or social care practitioner (social work, nursing, occupational therapy or psychology)
- have at least two years’ post-registration experience
- have relevant knowledge, experience and practice capability within a health or social care setting
- are currently employed in a suitable setting for the duration of the programme
£4,510 per year
£9,020 per year
For more information about financing your studies and your fee status, please see our fees and funding area.
Please note that course fees are subject to an annual uplift of 3% or the Consumer Price Inflation as at 1 September, whichever is the greater. At its discretion, the Trust may determine a figure between these two rates.
We are happy to offer a range of ways to pay your fees, as well as some funding for specific courses.
Upcoming course dates will be shared in due course. Please register your interest to be notified as soon as these are available.
Please note that the modular nature of this course means that the assessment and attendance requirements will vary depending on the modules selected.
Students are generally working in demanding environments with complex needs and undertake relevant modules as part of their continuing professional development.
The modules enable students to operate at a more advanced level in terms of practice in health and social care.
Why study with us?
Health, social work and social care at the Tavistock and Portman are among the most established and respected in the UK, and delivered within a working NHS clinic.
The primary aim of this course is to provide you as a social worker with validated, credit-bearing CPD to allow for your professional development. This course has been carefully developed to give social workers from adult, child and mental health disciplines the environment to study together and learn with practitioners from other fields.
Validations and accreditations
This course is validated by the University of Essex.
Register your interest
Applications are now closed. Register your interest and be the first to hear when this course reopens.
Explore courses to study beforehand
- Master’sEligible for Student Visa
Explore courses to study next
- Professional doctorate