Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists
The professional body for psychotherapists who have trained at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
The Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists includes psychoanalytic psychotherapists, child and adolescent psychotherapists, psychodynamic psychotherapists, and couples psychotherapists.
The society is a member institution of the British Psychoanalytic Council and so membership of the society also affords entry into the British Psychoanalytic Council.
All members are expected to be registered with the British Psychoanalytic Council unless:
- the member has registration through another organisation
- the member is retired
Join our mailing list
Join the TSP mailing list to receive regular updates from the society concerning events and CPD courses
What does the society do?
We aim to:
- provide a professional home for suitably qualified clinicians who train at the Tavistock
- provide professional advice and peer group support for its members in all aspects of professional practice, including matters relating to professional ethics, patient complaints and best practice
- promote a culture of continuing professional development through a range of continuing professional development activities and events
- be a first port of call for members seeking access to services available through the British Psychoanalytic Council
TSP Members will be eligible for all the benefits of Tavistock and Portman Alumni Society membership. Additionally, TSP members receive the following benefits:
- full membership of the Trust’s Library, at no additional cost
- access to recordings of Trust Scientific Meetings at no additional cost (also to be made available to other alumni at a fixed cost of £30 per year)
Qualification for entry into the Society will be awarded on successful completion of one of the following training courses.
- Clinical qualification
Inter-cultural psychodynamic psychotherapy (D59I)
- Clinical qualification
The Tavistock adult psychoanalytic psychotherapy training (M1)
- Professional doctorateEligible for Student Visa
Child and adolescent psychoanalytic psychotherapy (M80)
- Master’sEligible for Student Visa
Psychological therapies with children, young people and families (M34)
- Trust certificate
Psychodynamic psychotherapy for child and adolescent psychiatrists (M14)
Individuals can also apply to join the TSP or add to their membership via a qualification they have gained elsewhere through our equivalence process. Please contact us if you would like more information about the equivalence route.
We do not hold a list of accredited supervisors for its members. However, if a member requires supervision and would like assistance in obtaining a supervisor, please contact us in the first instance confirming the type of supervision required.
Explore the Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists register providing details of those members who hold full registration with the British Psychoanalytic Council and/or Association of Child Psychotherapists.
Contact the society
The society can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware the office functions on a part-time basis.