Trauma, neglect and building resilience (DAA014)
Explore the impact of adverse early experiences on children and young people
This CPD certified, online course will help you make sense of the lives of children and young people who are struggling. Over five hours of learning, you’ll learn how to identify the characteristics and effects of trauma, abuse and neglect and explore ways to shift behavioural patterns and build resilience.
Aims and learning objectives
Drawing on new understandings of trauma, abuse, neglect and how children cope with challenging experiences, this interactive course will help you to make sense of behaviours that on the surface might seem annoying, upsetting, frightening or personally challenging.
Taking a hopeful and optimistic stance, the course outlines ways to bring about change and build resilience through positive interventions and relationships.
You will learn by:
- exploring key concepts through interactive lecture content and videos
- deepening your understanding via regular opportunities for reflection
- considering a case study to help apply the theory to your work
- testing your knowledge with a multiple choice quiz to access your CPD certificate
Who is this course for?
We welcome anyone to this online course who has a keen interest in the subject area.
In particular, this course is for you if you work with children and families and wish to learn more about cutting-edge research findings and how these can be used in your work.
You may be working in:
- a school
- social services
- the voluntary sector
- or you may be considering work with children in the future
This course runs continuously, so you can sign up at any time. It offers five hours of self-directed online learning which you can undertake at a time, pace and location that suits you.
You will have access to the course and its materials for one year. Access begins the day after you’ve booked, when you will receive your account details by email.
This mini course is also available as part of the Understanding and Nurturing Troubled Children course bundle, a convenient option that offers one year’s access to four complementary courses.
This course will allow you to:
- define abuse, neglect and trauma – identifying the differences between them, and their significant, long-term effects on children and young people
- analyse the powerful links between adverse early experiences and later life trajectories, exploring a range of physical and psychological outcomes
- gain an understanding of resilience and post-traumatic growth – observing how positive experiences, emotions and relationships can lead to real change
There are no specific requirements for the course, although we suggest you are working with, or have an interest in working with children, or want to learn more about the effects of difficult early experiences on children’s minds and behaviours.
There’s a multiple choice question assessment at the end of the course, which provides access to your Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust CPD certificate upon completion.
Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist
This course has been independently evaluated for Continuing Professional Development purposes by the CPD Certification Service. This means that the learning activity meets global CPD standards and benchmarks, and the learning value has been scrutinised to ensure integrity and quality.
Book your place today
Our Digital Academy mini courses run continuously so you can join at any time. Access begins the day after you’ve booked, when you will receive your login details by email.
Save with our cost-effective bundles
This course is also available as part of a convenient, cost-saving bundle – providing you with one year’s access to four complementary online resources.