Guide to University of Essex digital services
Students on courses validated by the University of Essex are entitled to a University of Essex IT account and email address, which gives access to digital services including:
- Online resources in the University of Essex Library such as articles, online journals and ebooks.
- Microsoft Office 365.
- Other software (including SPSS).
- LinkedIn Learning.
Getting an Essex IT account and email address
You will need a PRID (your Essex student number) to create your Essex IT account. Your PRID is emailed to you after you enroll on your course. You should receive your PRID within a month of starting your course. If you have lost/forgotten your PRID, contact email@example.com.
- After you have received your PRID, go to https://www1.essex.ac.uk/it/getaccount/ and follow the instructions to get your Essex IT account.
- You will need to get your account within 90 days of starting your course. If you have any problems, or if 90 days has passed, please contact the University of Essex IT Helpdesk.
You have full access to the University of Essex Library. Some resources in the online catalogue (ebooks, journal articles, etc) are open access, some will require your Essex IT Account.
- Go to: https://library.essex.ac.uk/ueo.
Microsoft Office 365
You can download and install Word, PowerPoint etc on your own computer.
- Go to office.com and login with your Essex IT account. Use the Install option (top-right).
- You can also install apps for your mobile devices via the App Store or Google Play.
- See https://www.essex.ac.uk/student/it-services/microsoft-office-365 for further details.
The Essex Software Hub provides access to software to download for your own computer, including SPSS.
- Go to: https://www.essex.ac.uk/student/it-services/software-hub
- Full user guide: https://www1.essex.ac.uk/it/docs/software-hub-getting-started.pdf.
LinkedIn Learning is an online educational platform that helps you discover and develop business, technology-related, and creative skills through expert-led course videos.
- If you have lost/forgotten your PRID contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need help using the University of Essex Library, contact the University of Essex Library: https://library.essex.ac.uk/contactus.
- If you need help with your Essex IT Account, Office365 or the Software Hub contact the University of Essex IT Helpdesk: https://www.essex.ac.uk/student/it-services/it-helpdesk.