Become mental health aware (CPD59a)
Increase your understanding of mental health and be able to recognise mental health issues
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England is an internationally recognised organisation and its training programmes are designed to provide mental health support.
This short introductory course is designed to raise awareness of mental health and mental health issues. Hosted online and led by an accredited instructor member of MHFA England, the training will help you to look after your own mental health and wellbeing, and give you the confidence to support someone in distress who may be experiencing mental health issues.
Aims and learning objectives
This course will increase your awareness of mental health. After completing the course, you will have:
- an awareness of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- a basic knowledge of some common mental health issues
- an understanding of how to look after your own mental health and maintain wellbeing
- the confidence to support someone in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone who would like to increase their knowledge of mental health.
If you are an organisation deciding which employees should attend this training, you may find the following considerations helpful:
- do they have a desire to learn more about mental health and support others if required to do so?
- will they be provided with the required time and support to attend the training?
- do they have line management responsibilities which could benefit from the training?
For a more in-depth exploration of the topic, you might be interested in our two-day training to become a Mental Health First Aider (MHFAider®).
This is a half-day course lasting four hours. You’ll learn through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
Every MHFA course is led by a Tavistock and Portman employed instructor member of MHFA England who has completed their Instructor Training programme.
The next course will run on the following date:
|Sessions||Date||Start time||End time|
|Session 1/1||Monday 20 November 2023||1.00pm||5.00pm|
This course will be delivered remotely using Zoom.
You will need a device with a microphone and camera together with a suitably fast internet connection. Although mobile devices and tablets can be used, we recommend the use of laptop or desktop PC for the best experience. Some devices provided by employers may have restrictions in place. Please use this test link (https://zoom.us/test) to check your set up before booking..
You will be sent the necessary login link about a week before the course start date. Should you have any concerns about the accessibility of remote delivery please contact us at CPDEvents@tavi-port.ac.uk to discuss how we can best help you.
During this introductory awareness course, you’ll cover the following topics:
- what is mental health?
- mental health continuum
- factors which affect mental health
- stress and stress management
- spotting signs of distress
- mental health conditions including depression, anxiety disorders, psychosis, eating disorders, suicide and self-harm
- how to start a supportive conversation
- supporting mental health in the workplace
Throughout the training, you’ll be introduced to helpful resources.
This course is accredited by Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England, a social enterprise that offers expert guidance and training to support mental health, in the workplace and beyond.
Mental Health First Aid Instructor
Book your place today
You can book a place at any time. You’ll receive confirmation by email, and we will be in touch approximately one week before the course starts with detailed joining instructions.